Wednesday 12 September 2012

Painting progressions

Here are my two completed paintings from TAFE for the semester. Looking at how they progressed is interesting, seeing where I could have done things differently. 

TONAL EXERCISE: FLOOD PLANE
This was painted from a collage in a tonal colour scheme. The source picture was a little vague and the overflowing mud flood plane was particularly hard to get across.

1st session

2nd session

Final session (3rd or 4th)
 

OLD MASTERS PALETTE: SELF PORTRAIT WITH HAT
Working with raw sienna, burnt sienna, payne's grey and white, the idea of this exercise was to work within the limitations that artists worked with for centuries.
Even though it's not a perfect likeness I was happy with this painting. According to people I've shown I look either very serious, Italian, sunburnt, arrogant, or not much like me!!


Start.
End of 1st day.

End of 2nd session (Geoff photobombing)

Finished, or close enough!




No comments:

Post a Comment